tisdag 2 mars 2010

As I see it, naive or not

Back in time, not to far back, women had certain expectations. I have recently read a couple of books that have depicted a patriarcal society, like Medea, Madame Bovary and Thérèse Raquin. And I would have to say that living in this kind of society has lead them doing bad things. As in the case of Medea, she wouldn't have been as angry with Jason for leaving her if it was today. Because today a divorced woman is still a woman and a woman has value. She's not just a storage space for the man's child. As a person of a new generation, call me naive, I think that we are fairly equal. Very equal, dare I say. Sure, we don't always make as much money as men do when it comes to certain professions and of course that are people that are weird and prejudiced, and there will always be people like that. I think that we have come a VERY long way in a short period of time. Like here in Sweden almost 50% of the politicians with important posts are women.

Do we have any expectations today? sure there's the "you have to look good" expectation. We always have to take care of our looks more than men have to and then there's that pantyhose perfection thing. But that's also changing a bit I think, especially if you look at new generations. And men pressure on them as well even though the "look non-groomed yet groomed" look is very in right now.

Beatrix Bernadotte

Inga kommentarer: